Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Does this post make me look old...?

I've had several different age-related experiences in the past few weeks. They've come from different directions and covered different subjects:

1. For several very good reasons, I've had neither a hair cut or a beard trim in a long time and they had both grown out to "just came off the mountain" length. I usually keep both very closely trimmed--#1 or #2 on a set of electric clippers. Similarly, I haven't been outside much. One day, I'm getting in they car and one of my wonderful children says to me, "Hey, I thought you had gray hair! Did you dye it brown?" I may have some vanities, but what's left of my hair isn't one of them. I don't know what's worse: looking older than I am or having my daughter think I dye my hair.

2. I have been meeting new people on a daily basis recently. Their first question is, invariably, "How long have you been retired?" Now, I know that I've been ridden hard and put away wet one too many times, but do I really look over 65 to you? The next question is usually, "How many grand kids do you have?" I know that, chronologically, I'm certainly old enough for grandchildren. But, still...

3. It's not all bleak. When discussing age with my students, one asks me how old I am.
  Me: "I'm 51."
  Student: "No way! my grandfather is 51 and he's nothing like you!"
I chose to take this in the best possible interpretation and granted him extra credit for superior observation and analytic skills.

4. While perusing the receipt from a local restaurant I see that they automatically put the Senior Discount on the check. I wasn't sure how to react, my inherent frugality combating my sense of indignation. I took the money and ran.

The old wisdom says that you are as old as you feel. I feel pretty damn young these days. I just wish it showed more.

No comments:

Post a Comment