Thursday, January 17, 2013

What a wonderful world...

My work as a science teacher keeps me fairly well grounded in what goes on in the world--its various processes, mysteries and wonders. Sometimes, though, I just have to marvel at this wonderful, wet rock we all live on.

Here's a video of the Earth as seen from the International Space Station, last year. There are some magically spectacular views of the auroras in the upper atmosphere.


Now, I know that auroras are caused by the Sun emitting high energy particles from solar flares and coronal mass ejections. Short version: These particles travel through space in all directions and when they encounter the Earths's magnetic field, they create an electric current. The current passes energy into oxygen and nitrogen ions in the ionosphere. The electrons in these ions get excited and move into high energy orbitals. When the ions lose the excitement and the re-radiate the energy as light and we see them as auroras.

For me, the magic is still there. Even though I know what's going on, at the sub-atomic level, that doesn't mean that I can't still be awed and humbled by the beauty of it all. This beauty is everywhere if you'll take a moment to look for it or, rather, let it find you.

Don't let the world jade you. Be open to it. Explore it. Embrace it.

No comments:

Post a Comment