Wednesday, January 2, 2013

I think I'll take a shower...

Let me just say, nothing beats a shower when you're not feeling right. When I'm watching a movie, and I see some hero getting shot up, rolled out of a car, dumped into an elevator shaft and generally wind up being abused, the first though that comes to me is, "I bet a shower would go a long way toward fixing that guy up."

It's not just about removing the dirt and sweat, although that's certainly a bonus. There's something internally, spiritually, emotionally, holistically cleansing about it. The sheeting water carries away the care and leaves behind a sheen of comfort--as long as you get the temperature right, that is.

Now, I know I'm in for some argument here, but baths just ain't the same, folks. Consider that once you get the temperature right (if ever) it's not going to stay that way long. The physics of energy transfer make sure that it'll get cooler and cooler until it, and you, eventually assume room temperature. So, you're in the tub. Now what? Soak? Squirm and consider how you might get your knees and your shoulders submerged at the same time while not overflowing the tub. Admirable quest, my friend. If you want to get clean, go ahead and scrub up. Where does the rinsed off dirt and suds go? Back into the water you're sitting in.

Nope. Not for me.

I think I'll take a shower.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry, but your opinion of showers vs. baths is all wet. I have read that getting clean primarily involves the removal of dead skin. Since baths typically last at least 20 minutes, they are much more effective to this end. Having extremely dry skin, I can attest to the better hydration provided by a bath as compared to a shower.

    More importantly, however, a bath is a calming ritual. It is a peaceful time free of interruptions. A good long soak can ease away the pressures and stresses of the day. A shower on the other hand, is a rather violent affair. The water beats on you, getting into your eyes, ears and mouth, and a painful scalding is only a toilet flush away.

    Why don’t you go start your shower, and I’ll go down and put in some laundry?
    -your loving wife

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Jen I gotta go with Jim on this one. NOBODY likes to sit in fart water. You don't get that in the shower.

    ReplyDelete